The story begins in 1954, when the prodigious rise of laminated plastics was just beginning. Eugen Hänle was then Professor Ulrich Hütter assistant, in a company engaged in the manufacture of large wind turbines for the production of electricity.
It was the design of 17 m long blades (for a three-blade rwind turbine with a diameter of about 35 m) that led them to consider, for the first time, the use of fiberglassreinforced plastic for structures subject to significant efforts.
This experience, Eugen Hänle, who set up the company Glasflügel in 1957, applied it to the production of helicopter rotor blades and blower fans for Bölkow.
At the same time, he and his wife Ursula (also an engineer) began to build an experimental glider, following the plans of the H30 (established by Wolfgang Hütter in 1946), but replacing the plywood-balsa sandwich, which was originaly planned for all the shell-formed elements (fuselage, wing, empennage), by a stratified-balsa sandwich, and realizing for this glider the first wing spar caps in "roving" (unidirectional glass fibers) and epoxy resin.
The H-30 was a small single-seater with a wingspan of 13.60 m, and performances equivalent to that of a Ka-6. Construction began in late 1957, and was completed in 1960.
Meanwhile, Hütter had developed the H-30 TS for Allgaier. It was a motor-glider derived from the previous one, with a fuselage modified to accommodate a small BMW turbojet engine and a new 15m wing, equipped with wing flaps, all plastic but with metal spar caps (made of glued aluminum foil ).
Hänle, who had participated in the construction of this glider, then used the sail molds. At Schempp-Hirth (because a lack of a sufficiently large workshop) he made two sets of wings according to his own designs (that means with fiberglass spar).
One of these was used on the first H-301 "Libelle", the other one of the first "Diamond" Switzerland in its original version of 15 m wingspan.
Due to problems with the turbine and especially the noise it produced, the project was shut down and the aircraft was re-transformed as a pure glider.
Characteristics : Hütter 30 TS
|First flight||August 1960|
|Engine||BMW 8025||then 8026|
|Max. rating||46 kg||101.4 lb st|
|Span||15 m||43.6 ft|
|Length||5,70 m||20.8 ft|
|Height||1,02 m||4.1 ft|
|Loaded||320 kg||705 lb|
|Fuel & oil||kg||lb|
|Vne - Max speed||km/h||mph|
|Vno - max speed in ope.||km/h||mph|
|Vs - Stall speed||km/h||mph|
|Max. rate of climb||150 m/min||490 ft/min|
|Min. rate of climb||0,60 m/sec||1,97 ft/sec|
|Service ceiling||2 500 m||8,200 ft|
|Best glide ratio||23,6|
The H 30 TS will first be equipped, in September 1959, with a BMW 8025 turbojet engine of 36 kg thrust at 45,000 rpm.
Then, in May 1961, following a major modification project, it will be equipped with a BMW 8026 of 40 kg of thrust at 46,000 rpm.
Number of H30 TS produced
Only one copy of the H30 TS has been produced, which has been declined in 2 versions. Registered D-KABA, he was lost in August 1968 following an accident during a winch launch.